Hello Chapter Members.
As your outgoing Chapter President it is my privilege to arrange the election of next year’s Board of Directors. Before you say “Not a chance” and hit delete, please take a moment to consider the personal and professional benefits of being a board member.
· Many facilities recognize service to professional organizations in their Clinical Ladder programs
· Skills developed as a board member can be highlighted on your resume
· Opportunities to participate in ARN committees and projects
· Networking – our board members come from multiple institutions
· The satisfaction of using your talents to further our specialty
· The satisfaction of working with a group that gives back to the community – NIARN makes charitable donations based on member recommendations
This year we have begun conducting some of the board meetings via conference call. This has worked out well and cut down on travel time. We average about 10 board meetings per year. They are usually held in the early evening and last about 1.5 hours. Specific dates and locations are determined by the board members. Locations rotate within the Chicagoland area.
The following board positions are open:
2 year term July 2017 – June 2019
Secretary – record minutes of board meetings. Provide typed minutes to board members. Provide minutes to board member who is responsible for the chapter website.
Board member at-large – 2 positions are open. Contribute to decisions made by the board. Examples include when to have chapter meetings, when to offer educational events, topics and speakers for educational events, decisions regarding chapter finances.
3 year term July 2017 – June 2020
President elect – serves as president elect for one year. Responsibilities include learning the duties of the president and serving as back up if the president is unavailable. Contribute to all board decisions. Serves as president for one year. Directs board meetings and chapter activities. Serves as contact person for Association of Rehabilitation Nurses. Serves as past president for one year. Contribute to all board decisions. Arrange election of future board members.
Once you have decided which position you wish to run for, please e-mail me by June 12, 2017. The e-mail should state the position desired and include a short professional bio.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sally Strong, RN, APN-CNS, CNRN, CRRN
Chapter President, NIARN